Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

role models

This question is going to be a long one, so I'll keep my answers short and to the point. I'll start with the most obvious.

9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.

1. My Grandpa. He always encouraged me to use my brain and go into engineering. He was such a pushy man with the best intentions at heart.
2. My Grandma. She was such an involved Grandma in our lives. She was supportive, loving, funny, loud and quirky. I know my kids are lucky because my mom has so much of my Grandma in her. She showed me the value of family and love.
3. My momma. Hands down the greatest woman I know. Selfless, supportive, strong, kind, caring, generous... the list goes on. She gave us everything we could ever need as kids. She taught me to respect myself, my parents and human kind. She is my best friend. She pushes me to become the woman I want/need to be. She would give up anything for me, just to make me happy. If I am half the mom she is, then my kids will be ok. She taught me the importance of family. She taught me to love unconditionally.
4. My daddio. He taught me so much growing up. He was my coach my whole life. He was my protector and my support. Daddy taught me so much of who I am. He taught me to be brave, to play sports, that happy mom= happy family.
5-7. My sisters- in no particular order - being the youngest of 4 girls, I had a lot to live up to, look up to, and learn from. My oldest sister Kim was the mom figure to me. Since she is 8 years older than me, I didn't really get to know her until I was old enough to understand. This happened in college when Kim moved home from New Jersey. I always saw Kim as the quiet shy nerdy one. But, in college she came out of her shell. She made me see that we all find ourselves at different times. Sarah showed me how to be tough. I learned that it's ok to walk away from something when it's not right, even if it's hard to do. I always wanted to be just like her on the softball field. She was fierce. Amy taught me to be genuine. She lives her life through smiles and kindness. All of them have shown me that loyalty pays, family is forever, and friendship is a gift. You can't choose your family, but you can choose to love them. You can choose to be best friends. You can choose to be supportive, protective and loving.
8. Sir Charles Barkley. He was such a dominating forward in the NBA and he is only 6'4"-ish. He had no fear as an athlete. He did what he wanted - and did a spectacular job at it too. He was aggressive, passionate and sooo fun to watch. He is by far my biggest athletic role model.
9. My husband. Alex makes me want to be a better person. He makes me want to 'be all I can be' - not his words. He is encouraging and pushes me to get crap done. I talk a lot of game - ie. school, work, yardwork, working out - but without him pushing me, half of it wouldn't get done. He knows what he wants and makes it happen - for example, the fire dept. That is inspiring.
10. Generically - all those that make a difference. I think there are several teachers I have had over the years who encouraged me to embrace my brains. For them, I am forever greatful.

No comments:

Post a Comment