Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

oddly fascinating

I had a lab today at Via Christi, and it was AWESOME. One of my teachers is a research engineer in orthopedics at St. Francis Hospital. He takes us to the hospital and has a Doctor dissect an amputated leg in front of us. It is a full hands on lab - and I love it. I got to cut apart a knee and calf all in an hours time! We have had this lab before in another one of my classes, but this time it was even better because the Resident helping us was VERY imformative. There was a smaller group of students this time around too - which meant we were right up on the business - and we got to feel each and every part of the leg, including the ACL, miniscus, bone marrow, nerves, arteries.. you name it, we saw and touched it. Also - we tore the crap out of it.

I have decided that this is what I want to do. No - not be a surgeon. My hands are NOT steady and light enough for that! I want to work in orthopedics, orthopedics research and development
 -  to be involved in this area and have access to real hands on testing. Orthopedics have always been intriguing because they relate so closely to sports injuries, but this pretty much sealed the deal. The Doctor explained and showed the process of an ACL replacement surgery. I never actually understood how that worked until this morning. It's amazing. And the materials and components of a total knee are amazing. There is so much room for growth in bone and ligament repair. Not particularly the areas I mentioned. But I think more along the innovations and forward movement of elbows, running feet, limbs, prosthesis which allow mobility and athletics. Now, let's just hope I can make this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment